Sunday, March 18, 2012

Bookbinding, The Next Level


Hammer+knife=books?! Why yes, it does! In November I completed my first traditional bookbinding course learning 4 hard cover, multiple signature bindings covered with various book cloths and papers. Two weeks ago I moved on to the intermediate level where I will make only 2 books but learn a whole lot of other, more complicated binding techniques including rounding and backing (the part involving a hammer) and leather paring (the part involving a knife). Last week I successfully rounded and backed for the first time. This coming Wednesday I will learn to wield my leather paring knife--I'm so excited! Here are some photos from the first two weeks.

Once again our fearless class instructor is Juliayn Coleman. This one page handout makes it all seem so easy...


14 signatures (groups of folded pages) whoa, this is gonna be a big book!

End sheets. This purpley/pinkish color reminds me of the black raspberry ice cream at Peaches N' Cream in Litchfield, Connecticut (best ice cream ever).

Sewing stations punched

That kettle station (far right) is a little inconsisent up but I successfully sewed on frayed cords

In the job backer just waiting for me to mold it with the hammer. How else would I get a nice round?

Aw, yeah, look at that 'perfect' rounded spine. Well, perfect for a rounding and backing virgin, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment