It began with a sketch of what the sign should look like. This also helped me catch spelling and logistical mistakes before we went large-scale.
Then, to the big blank page...
The plan was to have a faux bunting feel so I made a template triangle then traced it to get all the other triangles. Since we were being cheesy, I wanted the sign to have a playful/childish look so the triangles were free-hand cut with an X-acto making each one a bit different.
We just used glue sticks and my trusty bone folder to attach everything.
The finished sign was a hit! Sadly, I do not have an image of Sergei actually happy to see it, but it helped him find us, I swear.